Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Father's Prayer

O God, help me to be true to the great privilege
and great responsibility which you have given to me.
Help me to be an example and a friend 
to my children,
and a real partner to my wife 
Don't let me get so busy
with work and with outside things
that I am almost a stranger 
in my own home,
and that I take no interest
in household things.
Don't let me take for granted
all that is done for me,
and help me to keep love alive
within the home.

Keep me from habits
which make the work of the house harder,
and from ways which irritate and annoy,
or which get on the nerves
of those who live with me.

Give me health and strength 
and work to do,
to earn a living 
for those who who depend on me
and whom I love so much;
but help me to remember
that love is always
more important than money.

O God, you have given me
the name of father;
you have given me your own name;
help me to be true to it.

this I ask for your love's sake.
AMEN

taken from the book, Straight from the Heart, A Prayer companion as compiled and edited by Rev. Fr. Mario Jose C. Ladra

No comments:

Post a Comment